When Is It Time To Consider Assisted Living
Signs It’s Time To Move To An Assisted Living Community
If you’re thinking about whether or not it’s time to transition your parent or senior loved one to an assisted living community, we understand how difficult it can be for everyone involved to know what’s best. What factors should be taken into account? Are there any signs you should be looking for? Here are some indicators that it may be time to initiate this conversation.
- Worsening problems – Is your loved one’s deteriorating health becoming a struggle for you or for them? Rather than trying to handle your loved one’s declining health on your own or risking further complications, it may be beneficial for them if you partner with a team of professionals who are dedicated to their well-being. In assisted living, caregivers can also help your loved one with bathing, dressing, medication management and other activities of daily living.
- Subtle changes – Look for small clues that could indicate reduced independence. Hygiene is often one of the first things neglected by an older adult facing mobility issues, so you may notice increased body odor, stained clothes or dirty surroundings. There are many parts of daily life that may become difficult for seniors to keep up with on their own. If mental or physical limitations are hampering their ability to take care of themselves properly, they might need some help.
- Unsafe conditions – Think about your loved one’s mobility and balance as it relates to the safety and accessibility of their home. Navigating obstacles, like loose carpets, staircases or cluttered walkways could result in a life-threatening fall. Additionally, if they have instances of forgetfulness or wandering, they may no longer be safe on their own.
- Worrisome accidents – Consider whether your loved one would be confident in responding appropriately to emergencies like taking a fall, having a kitchen accident or medical scare or getting into a fender bender. Before a more serious incident occurs, a move to assisted living can bring help with transportation for shopping and appointments, as well as providing fresh, healthy meals.
Every situation is different, but if your loved one is showing several of the above signs, it may be time to start a conversation about transitioning to an assisted living community. At Redstone Village, we recognize each individual’s unique needs and work with families to create a personalized care plan. Here are some of the advantages you’ll find at our community.
Advantages of Assisted Living at Redstone Village
- Professional care – With the dedicated attention of our team of professionals, your loved one always has help with bathing, grooming, medication management and much more.
- Decreased isolation – Residents thrive at our community with a wide array of opportunities for socialization, group activities and holistic wellness programming.
- Worry-free living – Housekeeping, cooking and home maintenance are all taken care of so residents are free to do what they enjoy.
- Safety and security – Help is always close at hand at Redstone Village. Secure entrances and wireless call systems provide reassurance, while caring associates are ready to assist 24 hours a day/7 days a week.
- Peace of mind – You can feel confident that your loved one is in a safe, secure and supportive environment; and if needs change, our Life Care plan takes care of their future health care.
We Are Here To Help and Answer Questions
We encourage you to reach out to us with any questions you may have about assisted living at Redstone Village – we’re here to help in any way we can as you navigate this stage in you or your loved one’s health journey.