NOTICE OF PRIVACY INFORMATION PRACTICES
A. PURPOSE OF NOTICE
THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
Redstone Village is committed to preserving the privacy and confidentiality of your health information which is created and/or maintained at our Health Center. State and Federal laws and regulations require us to implement policies and procedures to safeguard the privacy of your health information. This Notice will provide you with information regarding our privacy practices and applies to all of your health information created and/or maintained at our Health Center, including any information that we receive from other health care providers or facilities. The Notice describes the ways in which we may use or disclose your health information and also describes your rights and our obligations concerning such uses or disclosures.
We will abide by the terms of this Notice, including any future revisions that we may make to the Notice as required or authorized by law. We reserve the right to chance this Notice and to make the revised or changed Notice effective for health information we already have about you as well as any information we receive in the future. We will post a copy of the current Notice, which ill identify its effective date, in our Health Center and on our website at www.redstonevillage.org.
The privacy practices described in this Notice will be followed by:
1. Any health care professional authorized to enter information into your medical record created and/or maintained at our Health Center.
2. All employees, students, and other service providers who have access to your health information at our Health Centre; and
3. Any member of a volunteer group which is allowed to help you while receiving services at our Health Center.
NOTE: List any other individuals or entities that will follow this Notice.
The individuals identified above will share your health information with each other for the purposes of treatment, payment and health care operations, as further described in the notice.
B. USES AND DISCLOSURES OF HEALTH INFORMATION FOR TREATMENT, PAYMENT, AND HEALTH CARE OPERATIONS
Treatment, Payment and Health Care Operations. The following section describes different ways that we may use and disclose your health information for purposes of treatment, payment, and health care operations. We explain each of these purposes below and include examples of the types of use or disclosure that may be made for each purpose. We have not listed every type of use or disclosure, but the ways in which we use or disclose your information fall under one of these purposes.
1. Treatment. We may use your health information to provide you with health care treatment and services. We may disclose your health information to doctors, nurses, nursing assistants, medication aides, technicians, medical and nursing students, rehabilitation therapy specialists, or other personnel who are involved in your health care.
For example, we may order physical therapy services to improve your strength or walking abilities. We will need to talk with the physical therapist so that we can coordinate services and develop a plan of care. We also may need to refer you to another health care provider to receive certain services. We will share information with that health care provider in order to coordinate your care and services.
2. Payment. We may use or disclose your health information so that we may bill and receive payment from you, an insurance company, or another third party for the health care services you receive from us. We also may disclose health information about you to your health plan in order to obtain prior approval for the services we provide you, or to determine that your health plan will pay for the treatment.
3. Health Care Operations. We may use or disclose your health information in order to perform the necessary administrative, education, quality assurance and business functions of our Health Center.
For example, we may use your health information to evaluate the performance of our staff in caring for you. We also may use your health information to evaluate whether certain treatment or services offered by our Health Center are effective. We also may disclose your health information to other physicians, nurses, technicians, or health profession students for teaching and learning purposes.
C. USES AND DISCLOSURES OF HEALTH INFORMATION IN SPECIAL SITIATIONS
We may use or disclose your health information in certain special situations as described below. For these situations, you have the right to limit these uses and disclosures as provided for in Section of this Notice.
1. Appointment Reminders. We may use or disclose your health information for purposes of contacting you to remind you of a health care appointment.
2. Treatment Alternatives & Health-Related Products and Services. We may use or disclose your health information for purposes of discussing with you treatment alternatives or health-related products or services that may be of interest to you. For example, if you are a resident or our Health Center for purposes of a post-surgical hip replacement, we may talk with you about a gait training program that we offer at our Health Center to improve walking and balance.
3. Community Directory. We may use or disclose certain limited health information about you in our Health Center directory. This information may include your name, your assigned unit and room number, your religious affiliation, and a general description of your condition. Your name, assigned unit and room number, and a general description of your condition may be given to people who ask for you by name. Your religious affiliation may be given to a member of the clergy, even if they do not ask for you by name.
4. Family Members and Friends. We may disclose your health information to individuals, such as family members and friends, who are involved in your care or who help pay for your care. We may make such disclosures when: (a) we have your verbal agreement to do so; (b) we make such disclosures and you do not object; or (c) we can infer from the circumstances that you would not object to such disclosures. For example, we will share information about you with your spouse or other family member after giving you an opportunity to agree or object.
We also may disclose your health information to family members or friends in instances when you are unable to agree or object to such disclosures, provided that we feel it is in your best interests to make such disclosures and the disclosures relate to that family member or friend’s involvement in your care. For example, if your medical condition prevents you from either agreeing or objecting to disclosures made to your family or friends, we may share information with the family member or friend that come to visit you at our Health Center, but we will share only that information which relates to their involvement in your care.
5. Fundraising Activities. We may use or disclose a limited amount of your health information for purposes of contacting you to raise money for our Community and its operations. We may also disclose your health information to a foundation related to our Community so that the foundation may contact you to raise money for our Community. The information we use or disclose will be limited to your name, address, phone number and dates for which you receive treatment or services at our Community.
D. OTHER PERMITTED OR REQUIRED USES AND DISCLOSURES OF HEALTH INFORMATION
There are certain instances in which we may be required or permitted by law to use or disclose your health information without your permission. These instances are as follows:
1. As required by law. We may disclose your health information when required by federal, state, or local law to do so. For example, we are required by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to disclose your health information in order to allow HHS to evaluate whether we are in compliance with the federal privacy regulations.
2. Public Health Activities. We may disclose your health information to public health authorities that are authorized by law to receive and collect health information for the purpose of preventing or controlling disease, injury or disability; to report births, deaths, suspected abuse or neglect, reactions to medications; or to facilitate product recalls.
3. Health Oversight Activities. We may disclose your health information to a health oversight agency that is authorized by law to conduct health oversight activities, including audits, investigations, inspections, or licensure and certification surveys. These activities are necessary for the government to monitor the persons or organizations that provide health care to individuals and to ensure compliance with applicable state and federal laws and regulations.
4. Judicial or administrative proceedings. We may disclose your health information to courts or administrative agencies charged with the authority to hear and resolve lawsuits or disputes. We may disclose your health information pursuant to a court order, a subpoena, a discovery request, or other lawful process issued by a judge or other person involved in the dispute, but only if efforts have been made to (i) notify you of the request for disclosure or (ii) obtain an order protecting your health information.
5. Worker’s Compensation. We may disclose your health information to worker’s compensation programs when your health condition arises out of a work-related illness or injury.
6. Law Enforcement Official. We may disclose your health information in response to a request received from a law enforcement official to report criminal activity or to respond to a subpoena, court order, warrant, summons, or similar process.
7. Coroners, Medical Examiners, or Funeral Directory. We may disclose your health information to a coroner or medical examiner for the purpose of identifying a deceased individual or to determine cause of death. We also may disclose your health information to a funeral director for the purpose of carrying out his/her necessary duties.
8. Organ Procurement Organizations or Tissue Banks. If you are an organ donor, we may disclose your health information to organizations that handle organ procurement, transplantation, or tissue banking for the purpose of facilitating organ or tissue donation or transplantation.
E. USES AND DISCLOSURES PURSUANT TO YOUR WRITTEN AUTHORIZATION
Except for the purposes identified above in Sections B through D, we will not use or disclose your health information for any other purposes unless we have your specific written authorization. You have the right to revoke a written authorization at any time as long as you do so in writing. If you revoke your authorization, we will no longer use or disclose your health information for the purposes identified in the authorization, except to the extent that we have already taken some action in reliance upon your authorization.
F. YOUR RIGHTS REGARDING YOUR HEALTH INFORMATION
You have the following rights regarding your health information. You may exercise each of these rights, in writing, by providing us with a completed form that you can obtain from the business office. In some instances, we may charge you for the cost(s) associated with providing you with the requested information. Additional information regarding how to exercise your rights, and the associated costs, can be obtained from the business office.
1. Right to Inspect and Copy. You have the right to inspect and copy health information that may be used to make decisions about your care. We may deny your request to inspect and copy your health information in certain limited circumstances. If you are denied access to your health information, you may request that the denial be reviewed.
2. Right to Amend. You have the right to request an amendment of your health information that is maintained by or for our Health Center and is used to make health care decisions about you. We may deny your request if it is not properly submitted or does not include a reason to support your request. We may also deny your request if the information sought to be amended: (a) was not created by us, unless the person or entity that created the information is no longer available to make the amendment; (b) is not part of the information that is kept by or for our Health Center; (c) is not part of the information which you are permitted to inspect and copy; or (d) is accurate and complete.
3. Right to an Accounting of Disclosures. You have the right to request an accounting of the disclosures of your health information made by us. This accounting will not include disclosures of health information that we made for purposes of treatment, payment or health care operations or pursuant to a written authorization that you have signed.
4. Right to Request Restrictions. You have the right to request a restriction or limitation on the health information we use or disclose about you for treatment, payment, or health care operations. You also have the right to request a limit on the health information we disclose about you to someone, such as a family member or friend, who is involved in your care or in the payment of your care. For example, you could ask that we not use or disclose about you to someone, such as a family member or friend, who is involved in your care or in the payment of your care. For example, could ask that we not use or disclose information regarding a particular treatment you received. We are not required to agree to your request. If we do agree, that agreement must be in writing and signed by you and us.
F. QUESTIONS OR COMPLAINTS
If you have any questions regarding this Notice or whish to receive additional information about our privacy practices, please contact our Privacy Officer at Redstone Village Main Office. If you believe your privacy rights have been violated, you may file a complaint with our Health Center or with the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). To file a complaint with our Health Center, contact our Privacy Officer at Redstone Village, 12000 Turnmeyer Drive, Huntsville, AL 35803. All complaints must be submitted in writing. You will not be penalized for a filing complaint.
ADDITIONAL PRIVACY INFORMATION
SECTION 1 – WHAT DO WE DO WITH YOUR INFORMATION?
When you browse our website, we also automatically receive your computer’s internet protocol (IP) address in order to provide us with information that helps us learn about your browser and operating system.
This information we collect may include the content you view (including but not limited to the products you purchase or your location information associated with your IP address). We use this information to serve you relevant advertisements (what we call “Retargeting”). Email marketing (if applicable): With your permission, we may send you emails about our services and other updates.
SECTION 2 – CONSENT
How do you get my consent?
When you provide us with personal information, including your email address, you are providing us with consent to contact you via the information you provide.
How do I withdraw my consent?
If after you opt-in, you change your mind, you may withdraw your consent for us to contact you, for the continued collection, use or disclosure of your information, at anytime, by contacting us at email@example.com or mailing us at: Redstone Village 12000 Turnmeyer Drive SE Huntsville, AL 35803
SECTION 3 – DISCLOSURE
We may disclose your personal information if we are required by law to do so or if you violate our Terms of Service.
SECTION 4 – THIRD-PARTY SERVICES
In general, the third-party providers used by us will only collect, use and disclose your information to the extent necessary to allow them to perform the services they provide to us.
For all third-party providers, we recommend that you read their privacy policies so you can understand the manner in which your personal information will be handled by these providers.
When you click on links on our website, they may direct you away from our site. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of other sites and encourage you to read their privacy statements.
SECTION 5 – YOUR COMPUTER COOKIES
As you browse www.redstonevillage.org, advertising cookies will be placed on your computer so that we can understand what you are interested in. We will then present you with retargeting advertising on other sites based on your previous interaction with www.redstonevillage.org. The techniques our partners employ do not collect personal information such as your name, email address, postal address or telephone number. You can visit this page ( http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/ ) to opt out of partners’ targeted advertising.
QUESTIONS AND CONTACT INFORMATION
If you would like to: access, correct, amend or delete any personal information we have about you, register a complaint, or simply want more information contact our Privacy Compliance Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at the address below.
Re: Privacy Compliance Officer
Redstone Village 12000 Turnmeyer Drive SE Huntsville, AL 35803